Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 2 - Stockholm

Thursday - 9/17

I wanted so badly to visit Drottningholm Slott (Palace) in the suburb of Ekero. It was such a beautiful day. Getting there is easy. You take the tunnelbanna (metro) out to the Brommaplan stop and catch any of the several busses that say Drottningham. It's an easy journey. I arrived and reserved a tour for the theater. This was definitely the highlight of my visit to the palace. Built in the 17th century, the theater saw its heaviest use during the reign of King Gustav III. Once he was murdered, the theater was closed up and abandoned for over 100 years. In the early 20th century, it was "rediscovered" and reopened for concerts and plays using the original sets and props of centuries prior.

The tour guide was excellent, and at one point requested two volunteers. I jumped at the chance and myself and another person were taken behind the stage to do a demonstration of the ancient equipment. The guide put me in charge of making "thunder", involving pulling a rope up and down which sets off clapping boards above. The other volunteer made "rain" by turning a wheel covered in canvas. Being behind the scenes was an awesome experience and I'm glad to have jumped at the chance to participate.

Touring the palace was just as beautiful as the palace in the city, only more green as there were several gardens and tons of parkland to explore. I got caught out severely for snapping an photo inside the Chinese Pavillion. Sadly, I couldn't resist myself. The guard down the hall must've had the hearing of a dog to have heard my camera snap (without flash) and I was rightfully scolded.

I finished up as it was getting late, taking photos and trying to see as much possible. I had a late lunch of steamed vegetables in the palace café that was tasty, but not really a hearty meal. I caught the bus back to the tunnelbanna and arrived back in Stockholm in time to refresh and visit the Stadmuseum. This is the museum of Stockholm and was quite small for all the city had experienced. Still, it was interesting. I also took the elevator up the Katarinahissen for some great city views. I walked around Sodermalm because I wanted to check out a Café String. Walking the neighborhood was cool and just my kind of place to roam. It was nighttime, but Stockholm is ultra safe, so no problems.

Café String stops serving food an hour before closing so I could only have a beverage. I was hungry at this point so when I left I resorted to a place near the hostel that wasn't worth the money I paid for the meal. My hostel roommates were from all over Europe, including one who I don't recall ever leaving the room the entire time I was there.

No comments: