Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 1 - Stockholm

Wednesday - 9/16

The flight to Arlanda was over two hours late. Not a good start, but it worked itself out. Several of us were given $10 vouchers to purchase food. However, these were handed out about 15 minutes prior to boarding. I had already eaten, so it was useless, save for buying some water to have with me at my destination.

The actual flight was smooth, we arrived a bit earlier than scheduled. Arlanda is compact and easy to navigate. I purchased both my Stockholm Card and a round trip ticket for the Arlanda Express. Being a student yielded me a huge discount on the train. Arriving in central Stockholm about 20 minutes later, the hostel was easy to find as it was only just a few blocks from the express station. I checked in, stored my luggage, and took a shower. Now, I was ready to explore, until jet lag would eventually do me in.

Gamla Stan is a fascinating and dare I say, quaint. It's also the neighborhood most populated by tourists, including yours truly. The area is dominated by souvenir stores, yet manages to retain its old time feel. I got my start first by touring the Stockholm Palace. Although Sweden is now a quiet, neutral power, it once put fear in the hearts of many nations. It's military might was only rivaled by its riches, of which can be seen throughout the palace. The royal family doesn't reside here anymore, choosing to live in Drottningholm Slott. It was a cool experience and anyone who knows me is aware that anytime I'm in Europe, I look for a royalty aspect to the trip. Downstairs from the palace, housed in a museum, are some of the crown jewels, including the crowns of the current King and Queen. The former Queen Louise's court dress was also on display.

My next stop was to Storkyrkan (The Great Church), the oldest church in Gamla Stan. I was to learn later that night, to my dismay, that I missed a visit by the royal family only a few hours after I left the church. They were there for a quick presentation and I missed it. My one chance to get a glimpse of royalty was dashed by bad timing.

Afterwards, upon recommendation from many books and online forums, I enjoyed a hot chocolate at Choklakoppen. I chose the white chocolate because it was in a book about world recipes for hot chocolate I own and peaked my curiosity. I wasn't disappointed. It was gorgeous, especially with the ample slice of orange complementing the flavor. Sitting in Stortorget on such a beautiful day, people watching, made me realize how lucky I was to be here.

By now, I was waning from jet lag so I walked back to the hostel and took a nap. Yes, it's the kiss of death since I was wide awake later on with nothing to do as the city completely shuts down early. Still, I felt my day was chock full of activities and wasn't disappointed in the least.

No comments: