Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 3 - Stockholm

Friday - 9/18

I received another disappointment when I headed to the Radhus to discover it was closed for the day. There was a huge EU gathering for a meeting on climate control. I had forgotten about the royal armoury. Don’t know how I missed it, so I walked back to the royal palace. The armoury was cool, and seeing the crowns belonging to the king and queen were magnificent. Prior to that I had wanted to see the Riddenhouse church only to find it was closed for the winter. I figured I'd pop into the House of Nobility as well, seeing that it was free.

Finally, more of Gamla Stan and it was back to Sodermalm. Sodermalm is hands down, my favorite area of Stockholm. I can't explain why. It's probably because it's the more relaxed and artsy part of the city. Also, the fact that it's loaded with locals could be a major factor as well. I was able to browse some thrift shops and check out the vibe.

On every trip, I allow myself one nice restaurant to eat in. I'm a budget traveler and since it's difficult to keep a normal schedule on vacation, I try and eat at the cheapest places possible. The hostel charged for breakfast but had a kitchen for guests to prepare their own meals. I had already taken a trip to the supermarket to stock up on breakfast supplies, so was at least saving for my breakfast. The place I chose for my splurge meal was Pelikan. I ordered the Swedish meatballs. They were delish! Stuffed from my meal, I explored some more, walking through the park and paying a quick visit to the village of Kakar.

No comments: