Friday, March 13, 2009

And She's Off...Again

This time to Paris and Brussels. I leave Friday night and return next Sunday afternoon. I booked the flight last summer when oil prices were through the roof, so it looked like an amazing deal. Who knew things would be different and airlines would be begging us to fly. So, the price actually turned out to be competitive with what's currently out there today.

Oh well, I don't have a crystal ball, or else I'd have hit Powerball years ago, so I'm rolling with the punches. That said, I lucked out on a great deal on a hostel. Paris isn't known for doing hostels properly, and this place just opened; apparently, they know their stuff. It's got a sauna too. How cool is that?!

I added Brussels because of my love for Belgium. It's a sort of superficial love, so we'll see if it's held up after all these years. I may take a day trip to Antwerp to get my Dutch on. Belgium is split bilingually between Dutch (Flanders) and French (Wallonia). There are many political scrabbles and it's believed that at some point, the country will completely split. Again, I'll be hosteling it. I hope I can fit in the bed after eating all those pommes frites and waffles!!

I'm a little anxious about visiting Paris, which is why I was always hesitant about going there after all these years. One thing I'm not looking forward to is the day long layover in Madrid, Spain. Because of past experience, I hate Madrid (or "MaDread" as I call it), but I believe that everything happens for a reason and maybe I'll actually enjoy my super short time there. I will definitely watch myself on the Metro, which is loaded with thieves.

Thankfully, my street smarts thwarted a pickpocket attempt the last time, hopefully, I won't get bothered again. I'll have my belongings all on the inside of my coat, which will help. That's another let down with this flight. Had I waited, I could be in London for my day long layover. Again, it's all beyond my control. Lesson learned.

So, wish me luck...

No comments: