Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 1 - Madrid Layover and on to Paris

I have to admit, I'm starting to like all this posting my vacation stories after the fact business. Besides, it takes the pressure off.

March 14 -

The Iberia flight was uneventful, the food terrible. I slept really well on the plane and didn't have to bother much with jet lag later. I think another reason for this, besides the sleep, was that the US had just set the clocks ahead the week prior to me leaving, so now the countries I would be visiting were only five hours ahead, until a few weeks when they catch back up again. I also completed my treatment for bronchitis and was feeling 100% at this point. Who knew my first decent night's sleep after recovery would be on a stuffy plane?

I only had a few hours in Madrid, but they were lovely. It was sunny and hot. Given the short time, Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol were the areas I mainly focused on. It was nice to see Plaza Mayor busy as opposed to my last visit when it was mostly empty and under construction. I stopped into El Cortes Ingles and bought some saffron and Valor chocolate. I was coveting the aisle of cheap and plentiful olive oil, lamenting that I couldn't bring any back on the plane. Spanish olive oil rocks!

Overall, despite the fact that I was afraid to remove my coat due to having my valuables hidden away there, it was much more pleasant visit than the last time. Then again, a few hours is much different than a few days!

No problems with Iberia this time, thankfully! I enjoyed a Fanta limon at the airport. I was so looking forward to that. The flight to Paris Orly was on time and smooth going. I slept some more. This helped tremendously with jet lag.

The metro into Paris was dead easy and I made it to the hostel with not too many problems. Makes sense to follow the directions, for once. I settled in easily, headed out to a boulangerie for a quick nosh on a root vegetable quiche, and actually woke up at a decent time the next morning.

No comments: