Monday, September 22, 2008

Getting Real

Taking a break from my lunch, I headed over the the Taiwanese embassy to get brochures and maps for my upcoming trip. I forgot that the UN was having a big brouhaha, so was confused at first why I wasn't allowed up to the travel and tourism division of the embassy. Instead, someone came downstairs to the lobby and asked me what I was interested in. I specified brochures and maps, and they headed back up to retrieve the information for me and bring it down.

What they provided was probably more informative and detailed than the Lonely Planet book I bought. The maps are out of this world. Something the LP book is seriously lacking, and which I fretted the most over. For the first time, I felt in the loop about the city of Taipei. Even my co-worker, a native of Taiwan, who has been helping me tremendously with all this, was shocked at the breadth of information provided.

Now, it feels a bit more real. Aside from the prolonged flight each way, which still gives me hesitation, I'm really feeling more and more prepared. Like I can now get excited at what's ahead.

No comments: