Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Eire That I Need

Needing to close out an expiring travel rewards program, I decided to use the points towards a flight to...Dublin, Ireland! I'll be there for five days in exactly one month.

I don't know what took me so long to get to Ireland. I guess I was probably waiting to conquer it on a much bigger 'round-the-country trip that never seemed to transpire and which I don't exactly foresee getting 'round to for some years now.

Since I have a heavy travel schedule for October and November, plus three classes next semester, I needed to choose a place which would afford me some peace and ease of travel before all the chaos begins. My gut said London, only because of my familiarity with the place, but Dublin seemed more of a perfect fit. Plus, a different change of scenery, and another stamp in my passport. That I begin my Irish history class the day after I return, seems even more fitting.

To be honest, aside from a very basic itinerary, not much research has been done for this trip. If you can believe it. I am planning a guided tour for a day trip up to Belfast, Northern Ireland, but that's really the extent of it. I'll hit the major attractions and take advantage of as much of the city as possible, without doing my head in. One thing I'm totally looking forward to is the mass consumption of Irish cuisine - hearty stews, meaty pies, fish n'chips - I'll be in heaven! To keep costs down, I'm hosteling it. I did however, choose a highly rated hostel which is super close to everything and offers an all-you-can-eat Irish breakfast each morning.

Again, I'll try to report the day's events as they happen. Understandably, I can't make any promises. That's all in the hands of the Internet(s) gods.

No comments: