Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Meal Unto Itself

I live near City Bakery, and have always heard about their infamous hot chocolate. For some reason, perhaps closeness breeds un-necessity, I had never been there before. Trust me, it was kind of hard not to avoid them. This establishment has a cult following all throughout the country. Even Martha Stewart raves about them. Still, I have walked by the place, like, umpteenth million times, and have never set foot over the threshold. Until today. Because it was such a beautiful day, I was in my, I-revel-in-all-things-New York mood. On my way to Old Navy to return a tank top, I walked by and thought, "Oh, what the hell, I need to give this hot cocoa a shot".

I ordered a small and opted for the home made marshmallow (as seen above). At first, I balked at the five dollar price tag. Who buys hot cocoa worth five bucks? Then I realized I was about to consume an cult classic, and swallowed my frugal pride. My thoughts? One word - decadent. What you are drinking is pure chocolate, melted down and served in a cup. It can be eaten with a spoon. This ain't Swiss Miss folks! Had Augustus Gloop fallen into this stuff, he would've sunk right then and there, like quicksand. No chocolate river journey for him. It was so unbelievably rich I couldn't even finish it and was only able to get through about half before finally throwing in the towel. It proved to be a meal unto itself.

Would I recommend this to you? Hell yeah! Would I ever order one again? Not for awhile now. It proved to be so filling it was sickening. Should you want to partake, I would first recommend ordering only one small cup and sharing it with someone.

This stuff is not for the faint at heart.

No comments: