Saturday, March 31, 2007

Tartan Week

Tartan Week kicked off today. Actually, this year it's more like Tartan Week(s), as the annual Tartan Day Parade is not until April 14. Since it was absolutely beautiful outside, I walked the twenty five blocks up to Grand Central where the Scottish Village was set up.

While the layout is always the same, the exhibits change. A few years ago, we were able to view William Wallace's sword there. This year, the main exhibits were paltry at best. However, its saving grace were the established vendors that appear to be non-changing.

Last year, I recieved a free mouse pad of the Scottish flag. This year they were handing out hats with the flag on them. I just love free stuff!!

I was especially interested in the Loch Ness Monster exhibit. I'm not into conspiracies or a major believer in legends, but, if there is one thing I believe in, it's Nessie. Don't mess with the Ness! Of course, there are always the contests, and travel pamphlets galore. I must have entered about three of them to win various trips to Scotland. Don't discount sweepstakes, I certainly don't. I won a trip to England one year through one.

Other than that, visiting the vendors was fun. There was Best of Scotland, which has very beautiful and very expensive cashmere sweaters. Ancestral Scotland allows one to research their Scottish roots on a computer. Thistle & Broom sells luxury clothing, and uses only resources from Scotland. Of course, no visit was complete without a stop at the Scottish Gourmet! I managed to stay away from the tablet (um, tablet!), but ended up purchasing lavendar shortbread for my grandmother, and some pinhead oatmeal for myself. There were many others there, but the ones I listed were the vendors I spent a considerable amount of time visiting.

Walking around, I got a great feeling about myself. A sense of pride. Although I'm English first and foremost, I am deeply proud of my Scottish heritage. Especially since I can trace my ancestry back to the Massacre of Glencoe.

Overall, the atmosphere of the village was one of fun and good times. Regardless of what exhibits are there, each year I manage to have a great time.

No comments: