Saturday, March 10, 2007

Barney Greengrass

When I get an idea in my head, I really get an idea in my head.

Such was the case with Barney Greengrass. I got it in me that I just had to have an everything bagel with horseradish cheddar cheese. I figured since I wouldn’t bother to go on the weekend (understand, I’m below 23rd street), I would go yesterday during my regular work lunchtime. Even though they were several miles away from where I work, the subway proved to bring me there quickly. So quick in fact that the stop was around the corner from the place. Even better. Have you ever walked those avenues up there? I’ll keep my downtown compactness any day.

I'd heard the service there was surly at best, so I prepared myself for major attitude. I didn’t get that when I ordered (beginner's luck?). I ordered my bagel with the horseradish cheddar and a slice of tomato. I was surprised and very pleased when the guy behind the counter pulled out a tub that it was a spread and not cheese slices. Had I known this beforehand, I wouldn’t have asked for mayo on it. What I got was heaven, albeit a bit runny due to the mayo. The horseradish cleared my sinuses properly and succinctly. I admit, the combination was a bit weird, but it tasted perfect to me.

While I was waiting for my order to arrive, a man next to me had his beeper go off. I mean, who in the hell still uses beepers these days? Didn’t that go out with personal answering services?

Since I secretly love the Upper West Side (please don’t tell anyone!), it was nice walking around checking out the nabe whilst dodging all the strollers. One thing they have over us down-towners are the multitude of breakfast places available. Man, I miss breakfast places. My neighborhood has them, but not like uptown does. I walked it down to Zabar’s and picked up a slice of their zucchini pizza for tomorrow’s lunch. It proved to be delish! Would you believe that Zabar’s has great pizza? I think so anyway. Also, I couldn’t resist buying a small slice of their cheesecake; perfect for a sweet treat.

So, Barney’s is a nice place to nosh. I wouldn’t recommend going out of my way (like I did), but if you’re in the neighborhood and you're hankering for a hunk of horseradish cheese, there you go!

No comments: