Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Cruel Runnings

I did something so terribly stupid this morning. While rushing to work, I ran on the subway platform. I rush along on the platform often (which is bad, bad, bad!), but I never really run. The seriousness of the problem was that I was running along and too close to the edge of the tracks before I caught my mistake.

Given that I had boots on that are prone to slipping on the most minute things, I'm lucky I realized in time the problems I could have brought on myself. Luckily, there were no trains coming into the station at the time.

Very stupid indeed.

I hear and read about the horror stories, and I offer no laughs or witty responses about subway accidents. The subway is no joke. I read recently that someone died on the tracks because he raced down the stairs, lost his footing, and stumbled in front of the oncoming train he was trying to catch. I don't want to go out that way. I've got way too much life in me.

I was on the platform once when a man jumped to his death. It wasn't a fun moment in my life.

No comments: