Monday, March 30, 2009

Day 6 - Paris & Brussels

March 19 -

Off to Gare du Nord to catch the 12:25 Thalys train to Brussels. I spent the morning lounging, lazing at breakfast which was quite the different pace than days before where I utilized time stuffing myself silly in order to stave off the need to eat too much throughout the day. I was purposeful in my attempts relax at breakfast this day, taking in the canal view a bit more than days past.

I spent the rest of the morning packing up, heading out to the shops nearby to buy food and wine. I had stopped into the Monoprix a few days before, but remembered there was a Franprix that was cheaper and closer to the hostel. Plus, it was across the street from the little Bodega I was using for my fruit and other cheap treats. There, I bought a bottle of super cheap Cote de Rhone, upset that I didn't have the strength nor storage to bring more wine home with me. At the Franprix I purchased Amora mustard (cheaper than Maille), Creme de Marrons (I have to give this stuff a try), and a box of cookies for my Nan. Previous trips always have me buying more than necessary, but I really calmed down on the purchases. Besides, there was still Belgium.

Paris was striking that day, but thankfully, I wouldn't be effected. Thankfully. That was all I needed, no?

Getting into Brussels was quick but I had a bad map and needed help from the information booth. I managed the metro just fine, followed the directions, and made it to the hostel with no problems. It was a HI Hostel and those tend to be iffy because they are the bog standard. A lot of the private ones go for broke, but HI Hostels tend to be as basic as possible. After having so many amenities at St. Christopher's, such as a sauna, and free wifi in my room, this place was like a detention center, but it would treat me well my entire stay.

Laundry. I have become better at packing light. I've come a long way in this respect, and I'm still amazed at how light my luggage is lately when I leave home for vacations. Still, laundry in Europe is expensive and what's worse is you can feel like a dolt trying to figure out how to work the most basic machine in a foreign country. Thankfully, someone happened to be in there, spoke great English, and showed me the protocol. In the US this would all make sense in English, you either pay all with coins or you buy a special non-currency bearing coin to operate the machines. But trying to figure out the protocol in both French and Dutch, it doesn't make sense.

Brussels is quite international, as well it should be. It's the capital of the EU. Being on the smallish side, it should be easy to get around. Looking at a map it would appear so. Then tell me why I got lost almost every single minute of my time there!! Finding Grand Place was easy, you just followed the spire that dominates the skyline. Breaking away from it was difficult and I walked in circle many times. Still, Grand Place is hands down, one of the most beautiful squares I've ever seen. No photo I took did it the justice it deserved.

What disappointed me most was Mannekin Piss. For some reason, due to his popularity, I assumed he'd be the center of some grand square in Brussels. He's not. Instead, he's hidden away on some side street, kitty corner against some building. Not that he was the highlight of my stay, just not as grandiose as I expected.

Street food made up a considerable amount of my diet here the first night. I consumed waffles, frites, and Belgian style hot dogs. Divine!

No comments: