Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Tai-What?!

Some of you know, some you don't. In one month, I'm heading all the way to Taipei, Taiwan!

If you recall, awhile back, I went to the NY Times Travel Show and entered my name in all those sweepstakes entry boxes. Well, one of them took and I won a "free" flight to Taiwan. I just had to pay the taxes. Taiwan is a country that previously, I had absolutely no desire to visit. Since non reputable companies use the travel show as a guise to pass off notorious timeshare scams as huge wins, I was naturally quite skeptical when I got the news. After a bit of research, a confirmation that this was in fact legit, the peace of mind flowed, and I began the preparations. It was a disappointment to discover that the prize was for one plane ticket only. Not that I'm upset. It just would have been better if I could've brought along another person with me for such a journey.

My response to the win was - Taiwan?!?! Who goes there? What on earth does one do whilst there?

The country has launched a tourism initiative, and the booth at the show was part of it. Searching my head, I actually do remember being at the booth. I think that's only because in addition to slipping the entry form into the box, I was allowed to spin a wheel and win a "prize". I chose a writing pad because that was the only thing of interest they were giving out.

Now. To plan this trip. To my disappointment, there aren't really many tourism books on this country, which makes it all the more difficult to plan something for a country I know hardly anything about. The bulk of the attention going instead to her other Asian sisters. I'm having some luck with a few travel sites, which has helped me immensely. It's just a matter of really sitting down with the information and sussing out an itinerary. The flight. What can I say? The flight will be killer. 18 hours NONSTOP!! I predict there will be crying after 8 hours. I'm not comfortable with taking them, but maybe my doctor will be sympathetic and prescribe me Ambien.

So far, I have a tentative itinerary that focuses mainly on the capital of Taipei with side trips to the countryside. There is also a plan in place to visit Hong Kong as one of these side trips. That is, only if I can find a decently priced flight. Right now, it's all a big "we'll see". Am I excited? Yes. A little unsure and apprehensive? Yes. Scared? Maybe. Ungrateful for such an incredible win? Not on your life.

Hot springs, night markets, Snake Alley, and Taipei 101. I'm building on a mystery.

No comments: