Monday, June 23, 2008

Friendship, Grown Up

This past weekend one of my closest friends, M, came to the city to visit me. As usual, we had a raucous time with alcohol, food, and laughter, all very much a part of the action.

M and I met on the playground in 2nd grade. From then on, we were inseparable. That is, until the end of fourth grade, when her family packed up and moved back to Boston. We were gutted. For years, both of us were forced to communicate via snail mail with the odd phone call to each other. We lost contact in high school, but it wasn't because of any falling out. The distance, compounded by living in an era which predated both the Internet and low cost long distance, was sadly to blame.

It wasn't until after graduation that one day I sat down and penned a "how are you?" letter to her. What I didn't know until afterwards was that she too was writing the same letter to me. Both of us praying that the other still lived at the same address as years before. When her letter reached me (mine never came to her), it was like we were never apart. A few shrieky phone calls back and forth and she was on her way to drive down take me away for a Boston weekend. From then on, we never again lost contact.

The thing with M and I is that we can both be busy and not pull any "you were supposed to call me" attitude. We both understand that the phone works both ways and that's what gives longevity to our friendship. That said, she is in Los Angeles and I am in New York. This makes for a difficult time to see each other much. So, when the opportunity arises and we can get together, we go all out.

Most of our time this weekend was spent shopping, eating, drinking, and catching up on the small things people blank on when they're on the phone or IM'ing each other. She's talking about moving back East and transplanting herself right here in the city. That'll be crazy cool, for us anyway. If her plan comes to fruition, it will be the first time we have lived in close proximity since we were kids. Like 2nd grade all over again.

No comments: