Saturday, March 01, 2008

Like a Band-Aid - Rip it Off, Get it Over With

Biology class started today and I thought I was going to die when the alarm clock went off at 7:20am. That's not a normal time to be up on a Saturday morning, unless you're just coming in from a night out.

My first worry was that the class would be difficult, though my biggest fret was over the issue of dissection. This is something I am morally against. After some investigation, I learned that previous classes dissected fetal pigs, was resigned to this fact, and only okay with it because I consume pork. Infrequent as it may be. Thankfully, the professor informed us that instead, we will be dissecting owl pellets.

Since the professor has an accent, I misheard owl pellet as owl palette. For the remainder of the class, I was beside myself with anxiety. An owl's palate? What a serious waste of a living creature. My mind danced about with disturbing visions of owls being culled only for their precious palettes and left to die a cruel palette less death on the ground beneath the tree they were perched in. After doing an online search, Yahoo blasted back at me with a corrective, "do you mean owl pellet?" Woosh! Thankfully, I learned it was nothing painful and will actually be a cool thing to dissect. Well, not painful for the owl, just their prey.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I think this professor will make the class informative and interesting. I have a weird feeling I'm older than her too.

I keep telling myself that it's only twelve Saturdays until it's all over. Twelve Saturdays.

No comments: