Tuesday, February 05, 2008

February Shelter Duty 2008

In a word - cabin fever.

Last Friday, all day, it poured rain. Buckets. That left a night, full of guests, who were at each other's throats. It's hard enough being homeless. It's even harder when you're holed up with the same group of people day in and day out, sheltered from the inclement weather with nowhere to turn to for some quiet personal space. I can't fault a person for feeling like they're about to burst.

The guests arrived at our shelter from the drop-off center, bringing with them the minor squabbles and exhaustive nitpicking. A battlefield of emotions. I intervened many times until morning, trying not to take sides, hoping that given my limited understanding of the scope of their problems, I could help sooth the negative environment.

I only pray things got better for them.

No comments: