Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Pick & Choose

It's been tough playing seesaw over which classes I want to take this upcoming semester. Since I will have time to manage only one course, the process of elimination is making me go absolutely batty. Choosing courses is fun, but going about picking the one that will fit into your major before you've even been accepted to a college for the second half of your degree, is truly proving to be quite difficult.

I could go conservative and take the Historiography class that is required for my major. Or, I could take the Food and Drink in a Cultural Context class, which looks like lots of fun, and can go towards my possible minor (anthropology). This might all be scrapped so I can try and gain admittance into the Introduction to Canada class that will be available online through SUNY-Plattsburgh. Not only would this satisfy a requirement for my major, but it will prove to be very helpful to me. A happy medium(?).

Presently, I am taking classes at Empire State College (ESC) until a laboratory science class becomes available at my future Alma mater. Then, finally, I can graduate with my A.A. degree in Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. I'm at a bit of a crossroads in that I'm still not sure whether I want to go on to complete my BA at ESC, or apply to the distance learning program at UIS. So far, I've done two courses at ESC, and have been very comfortable with the flow of things.

On one hand, UIS is probably the better choice, because not only does the degree focus more on European history (which is a preference of mine), but it's a more solid institution. On the other hand, ESC is attractive because it falls under the SUNY umbrella, and the degree plan is much more flexible than at UIS.

Still, lots of decisions to make for my future, and I can't even make a final choice on one class. I've got a long way to go here!.

No comments: