Sunday, April 22, 2007

High Chai - Russian Tea

In addition to the most beautiful weather we had today, I met up with my tea group at the High Chai tea room for a Russian tea brunch.

Pictures here.

High Chai is a combination tea room/bar/restaurant which is located on 18 Avenue B at 2nd Street. They specialize in exotic flavors, and are heavy on infusing unique flavors and flowers in their beverages. I arrived for the 12 noon gathering. Inside, the decor was a mix of quirky and beautiful. Mosaic tiled floors, bright wall colors, and a decorative tin ceiling. Basically, the kind of decor you would want for your own little abode.

Svetlana, the owner, gave us a quick talk about the Russian tea ceremony. When tea arrived in Russia it was expensive. To conserve the precious leaves, the samovar came into use. Invented in the city of Tula, this apparatus houses a pot on top, which holds a small concentrated form of the tea. The bottom of the samovar holds the water. You pour the concentrated brew from the top into your cup, and then dilute it with as much water as you prefer. This way, you make don't end up wasting your leaves.

It's probably not a surprise that I now want to own a samovar!

On offer for the brunch were sandwiches, Russian cheese pate with croutes, and a nice salad. For dessert were Russian cookies, and a chocolate fountain with fresh fruit for dipping. As a surprise, the owner gave us each a shot glass full of the rose petal infused vodka mixed with cold tea. Floating in the glass were actual rose petals. It tasted interesting - and flowery! I don't see myself ordering this in the future, but it was nice to try it out.

I got to talk with Svetlana, whom I found so lovely and accommodating. I am really, really positive about this place. I can't stress the pluses enough. Everything was wonderful. The food, the drink and the ambiance were absolutely perfect.

The group I was with was part of my meet up. The conversation flowed and I got to know many people, including the organizer of the group - Mei. I had heard from the others that they too were having a wonderful time. I also heard that the previous tea meet ups were a blast.

Since this was my first meet up with the tea group, I am really looking forward to future events.

No comments: