Monday, April 09, 2007

Hair Did For $7.49? Priceless.

On Good Friday, I decided celebrate the commemoration of the passing of our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ, by getting my hair done for the weekend. Since time was of the essence, I didn't want to bother with primping the whole time. Plus, it was to be a family filled weekend, so I knew that cameras might be out in full force. I didn't want any more bad hair days committed to photographic posterity.

Since I am unusually cheap, and was in need of a scrub down, I decided to head down to the Creative Beauty School. Yep. You read that correctly, Gramercy sashayed her little old self into a beauty school for a shampoo, wash and blowout. Ain't no shame, baby. Ain't. No. Shame.

The cost for this treat? $5.95. With a conditioning wash? A total of $7.49. Can you believe it!?

Now for those who don't indulge, the average cost for such a process is usually (depending on hair length) between 20 and 40 US dollars. Because of this, it's considered by me to be only for special occasions.

Now, back to the beauty school. The funny thing was that they dispense the conditioner out like rations into little scoops. You know, like the scoops that come in Country Time Lemonade mix, or something like that. I thought it weird, but maybe there had been some huge conditioning scandal way back when, which necessitated this strict policy.

Anywho. Since you have an actual live learning person working on you, the process can take a bit longer than usual. That's okay, I had the time. I was told by my student stylist that it was finally fun to work on a younger person. Huh? I looked around and noticed what she meant. The median age of their customer base had to be a 65 year old who needed a blue tint and roller set. Youza!

Looking around, I saw that the decor hadn't changed much since back in the day when I was a poor student in need of cheap hair cuts. Well, after an incident with a student, whom I discovered afterwards had been nicknamed "Edward Scissorhands" by her beauty classmates, I never set foot in that place again. Fast forward to now. Since I needed something that didn't involve chemical altering or sharp instruments, I was much more comfortable.

Once she finished, and I saw that she did a terrific job, I walked out knowing I had just got the deal of the century. I ended up tipping her almost 100% of the cost of blowout.

Just as the Creative brochure promised me, "Dreams Do Come True. It Can Happen To You!"

Oh Yeah. They most certainly do.

No comments: