Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sweet or Savory?

I am not a fan of eating foods "outside the box", so to say. I’m probably the pickiest person I know. Just give me a cuppa with a PB&J, and I’m a happy and content girl. I was almost into my 20’s before I began topping my baked potatoes with sour cream. Food wise, I’m B-O-R-I-N-G. All this pickiness, yet I watch the Food Network and read food blogs like it’s going outta style. I guess you could say that I enjoy food more in 2-D.

In the last few years, I’ve become addicted to guacamole, which up to then, I had never thought of consuming. After that discovery I became avocado friendly, yet I couldn’t imagine consuming it any other way than as a savory. So you can imagine the day I watched an Alton Brown’s Good Eats episode which focused on avocados, my eyes were opened to the possibilities of this apparently multifaceted food. The avocado frosting and ice cream Alton prepared looked so delish. And green!

Recently, I stumbled upon and fell in love with a site that was linked on Spice Girl’s blog. The Traveler’s Lunchbox combines travel and food. What a way cool combo and a fantastic idea for a blog. One of the things that really stood out was a recipe for avocado milkshakes. In my pre-guacamole days, I would have gone right past the post whilst muttering “yuck!” Now? Not so fast.

I was definitely intrigued, so I gave it a shot.

I made sure to follow the directions to the T. That way there would be no room for horrible error. The end result? Creamy - lots of creaminess. At first, it was hard to get past the taste of sweet avocados. But it works. It’s hard to explain how it tastes. How does one define the taste of avocado? I will definitely try this again except I might add a bit of rum extract next time. Maybe it will kick it up a notch (to borrow from Emeril).

I can’t offer you a picture of my creation. It was consumed before I even thought of pulling out the camera. Besides, her picture looks far too good. If I had taken one, you’d be looking at the background of my kitchen in pure astonishment. There is NO space here for creativity. Unless you want a photo of a glass balanced on the side of a sink. At least the dishes were done.

No comments: