Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Man's Best Friend

I them again last night, the man and his dog.

I had first seen them this past autumn. It was a chilly night out and while out running errands, I noticed a beautiful Weimaraner tied to the bars of the scaffolding that seems to be put up around every building here. A beautiful dog, he looked out of place tied up there. He seemed kind of alert and frantic until I noticed his reasons for doing so. The dog wanted its master and couldn’t be away from him. His master was setting up his bed – outside. His master was homeless.

I have seen homeless people with animals; it’s not as much of an uncommon sight as one might believe. But what struck me was the dog, the breed. Seriously, this animal looked as if it could have come straight from the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show – as a winner. Weimaraners are a beautiful breed, immortalized by Wegman. Who hasn’t seen his work and been awed by the beauty of this breed? I was struck at the odd juxtaposition of this scenario. What also came to my mind was there was this dog, a breed that goes for thousands of dollars and it’s owned by a homeless man who absolutely loves it. Yet, people could pay what they feel is chump change for an animal such as this and treat it terribly.

Last night was one of the many in the string of freezing nights during this area's cold snap. But this man had his dog. The first time around when I saw them, after I swung back from doing my errands and walked past, I saw the most touching sight. The man was inside the dwelling he had just set up and was wrapping the dog up in blankets. The dog came first.

Some could argue that this man is being selfish for keeping an animal out on the cruel hard and very cold streets. While others could argue that he’s actually being selfless. I have volunteered with the homeless for almost ten years now. What I do know is that dog keeps him from getting a bed in the shelter system. That’s the thing that is so fucked up about this country. Here is a man who so desperate for shelter, but because he can’t give up this important responsibility in his life he can’t have a bed. This dog is probably the only being he has right now.

I would even venture to guess that many homeless people treat their animals better than they treat themselves, with many forgoing certain services because their animals aren’t allowed in certain facilities. In my time volunteering, I have met people who have put their pets into kennels until they are able to find a home for themselves. Prove me wrong all you want, but this is for sure; some animals on the streets are better loved than many who go to people who have homes. Some people, and I’ve seen it with my own eyes, acquire a pet, and when it stops being “cute” or “fun”, relegate the poor thing to the back yard only to be forgotten. The dog I saw last night? Was wrapped up in the warmest of blankets and loved better than some you see out there.

So last night, on my way home from work, I walked past the spot where I had first seen these two, and got to thinking what happened to them. Was he able to find a home? What happened to that beautiful dog? Where exactly are they these days? And then I saw them. The light changed and I was allowed to cross the street, but I couldn’t. Instead, I just stopped and stared. I watched them walk together seeking out the same spot where I saw them last. I know it was rude to stare, but I couldn't help myself.

Man and dog walking together, heading out to bed down for another long cold night.

No comments: