Thursday, April 02, 2009

Day 9 - Brussels and Home

March 22 -

Consuming both wine and beer the night before did me in. I'm not a big drinker and crashed immediately after returning to the hostel. I had to get up early to make the 10am flight, creeping around a full room of snoozing people. I made it to Centraal Station for the express train to the airport quickly. The Gods were watching over me today considering all the times I got lost in this city.

Airport check in was busy, but smooth. I learned at the gate that due to a mechanical problem, the in-flight entertainment system would not be working for cattle class. Of course, it worked for first class! Figures, this would be the only flight where I didn't pack a book to read. Thankfully, there were some free magazines available. Airline food was terrible (what's new?) and I spent the bulk of my flight napping or lost in thought. Having my iPod Touch was a godsend and I don't know what I'd have done without it, on the plane or throughout the entire trip.

My impressions? Paris was fantastic, but I didn't come away in a dreamy state as others do. This jaded city girl was able to see Paris for what it is. I would definitely go back, but to focus on the lesser things and the smaller museums that others don't usually take advantage of their first time. Those are the treasures here.

Brussels was much more multicultural than expected. Not a bad thing, not at all. I was surprised that the city remains bi-lingual with both Dutch and French street signs. It seemed that other than the Grand Place, which is tourist to the hilt, the other neighborhoods offer some sort of treat around each corner. I was especially impressed by the art nouveau houses.

Antwerp was absolutely beautiful. A definite can't miss city. I'm glad to have visited, hokey trolley tour and all. The architecture is to die for. I need to go back and spend more time there. A day isn't merely enough time to see what this city has to offer.

In addition to the usual postcards, here's what I bought -

Madrid -
Valor chocolate (for Spanish hot chocolate)
Saffron. It was cheaper there, but not considerably so compared to NYC prices.

Paris -
Amora mustard (the Maille brand was a bit too posh, and pricey for my tastes)
Crème de Marrons (I want to give this a try, it's a French thing)
Macarons from Laduree (I loved them, but realized there's a place in NYC that does them as good)
Vanilla meringues (bought sort of accidentally and fell in love, love, love!)
Necklace from Diwali in Montmartre
Prints from street artists
Bottle of wine
Shirt from Petit Bateau (it was somewhat cheaper in France and the only real retail splurge my entire trip)

Brussels -
Earrings from a street vendor in Agora Square
Underwear, socks, and camisole from Hema

Antwerp -
Toast rack from street vendor
Belgian chocolates
Speculoos
Cecemel
Hotcemel
A bottle of Leffe blonde beer (shouldn't have bothered, it's found allover the US)
Fresh waffles from the bakery
Licorice

Surprisingly, I didn't go all out and crazy with shopping. The list seems long, but a majority of the items were cheap. Most were only a few US dollars each. The t-shirt from Petit Bateau was the most expensive single item purchased, if you can believe that.

I've realized that my love of Belgium is not superficial after all, but the start of a long romance. I know it's not jam packed with big cities and landmarks. A small country of probably no significant importance when put up against some other European siblings, but it's fine the way it is.

No comments: