Thursday, February 19, 2009

Day 3 - Finishing up Frankfurt

February 16 -

The last day and there was more time to walk around. We walked Zeil a bit more, allowing ourselves to meander up and down some of the other streets. It began snowing softly. By the time we headed back to the hotel, it was coming down heavy, worrying us both about our flights. I made sure to stop into a pastry shop and stock up. I couldn't resist, those pretzels and pastries were too good.

Luckily, my flight was on time. For a huge airport, Frankfurt is Boringsville. Once you get past security, there's pretty much nothing to do. I still managed a small carry on this entire trip, despite lugging a bag full of pastries on the plane. I'm certainly coming a long way - leaps and bounds - considering the past.

Of course, the flight was long; the food was disgusting. Thankfully, us passengers each had our own personal entertainment systems. I had brought my new iPod Touch with me to play with. I connected through Philly and was amused by an older German couple on the plane who were visiting the US for the first time. They were so excited to see the NYC skyline and thanked me when I pointed out the Empire State Building.

Overall, this was a short but immensely pleasing trip. It was my first introduction to Germany and I managed to see a lot in my brief time visiting. It was also the first time I jumped so quickly on a bottom of the barrel transatlantic weekend fare.

I can't wait to come back and tour Germany some more. I only hope it's through a fare as cheap as this one.

No comments: