Monday, January 12, 2009

Photos of St. Petersburg & Moscow

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise to some that Russia was my dream destination for quite awhile. The trip report was long, but barely scratched the surface of my experiences. The people, food, stores, shopping, restaurants, and the little nuances of the city that weren't necessarily reportable are locked in my head, becoming morsels of intense flavor every time something triggers my memory.

St. Petersburg - There were times when I had to put my camera away because the architecture is drop dead gorgeous to the point where you give up; the brain has too much beauty to process. I would venture to guess that many tourists walk St. Petersburg in a dream state. I certainly did.

Tsarskoe Selo - If I had posted all the photos I took of the Alexander Palace, you would've stopped associating with me. Thankfully for you, I'll leave those snaps for the Romanov forum I visit.

Moscow - Moscow was short yet enjoyable. I missed out on the Kremlin, but still saw much in my only full day here. Walking around the empty streets the next morning was a soothing way to reflect on my hectic week and provided an opportunity to have the city to myself.

Lost Splendor - This album was a both a labor of love and an experiment in memory. I've always wanted to connect the Imperial past to the post-Tsarist present, and although it didn't turn out as expected, I was surprised there was enough to get this far.

No comments: