Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Day 5 - St. Petersburg

Wednesday, 11/26 -

My day started with a bang, literally. Coming back from buying tickets for the overnight train to Moscow on Friday, I slipped and fell on the ice - hard. Seriously, I thought I had split my head open it was so bad. Thankfully, a passing man pulled me up. No words were exchanged. He just pulled me up and walked away. How Russian women do it, especially since they wear miniskirts in the freezing weather and spiked high heels, is beyond me. I think the spikes do double duty as ice picks in order to conquer the icy streets.

I had my first real intensely frustrating language barrier problem when the woman behind the counter did not understand my attempts to purchase a train ticket. Coming to the rescue was a stranger who spoke English and translated my request to the woman behind the ticket counter. Otherwise, I'm sure I would've probably been sent to someplace in Siberia. Still, I'm glad to have purchased my ticket in Russia and not in the US through a middle party, because it saved a lot of money.

I needed to get the Hermitage out of the way. If this didn't happen, there would definitely be regrets! Russia has a tier system in regards to admission prices. Foreigners are almost always required to pay more, often double, than Russians. If you can speak Russian, you're fine, otherwise, you have to pay up. Because I'm currently a student, admission was free. I did however, purchase the photography pass. This, I regretted because it wasn't needed. Personal photography here seems to be a free for all, pass be damned.

I'm not going to go into the history of the Hermitage, but it's a definite can't miss for anyone who travels to St. Petersburg. It's extensive and what you see doesn't touch the surface of all the art they have inventory of. The rooms are as sumptuous as the art on display. In fact, some rooms are works of art themselves. After getting my bearings and oohing and ahhing at the Jordan Staircase, I headed first to the Russian section only to be disappointed that most of it was closed for the season. Shit. I did get to see the famous Malachite Room though. I spent most of the day making my way around most of the museum before calling it a day. I was bummed not to see any of the famous cats who roam the place. The cats are so famous, they have their own press secretary!

The remainder of the day was spent again, walking the city streets, popping into shops, and allowing myself to get semi-lost in the maze of canals and side streets that continued to offer visual treats.

I love this city. Sore head and all. I really do.

No comments: