Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The One Where I Learn Cyrillic

I'm trying my damnedest to learn the Russian alphabet. It's pretty necessary if I'm going to do this trip independently. With my busy schedule, and a twist of laziness, so far, I have only learned a bit. A, K, M, O, T all match the Roman alphabet. P translates as R, C translates as S, etc. I'm getting it, but not quite. I assumed I would ace it early on, that is, until last week on the subway when I stood over a woman reading a Russian language magazine and I fully realized that I couldn't make any of the letters out.

So, after hunkering down and practicing, I can say somewhat confidently that I think I can manage. I've got quite a job ahead of me though, so that confidence might just go out the window, or fail me at an all too important moment.

Who knows if this knowledge will be retained past my trip. I need to learn a language for school and Russian has been a serious contender in my decision making.

No comments: