Friday, October 24, 2008

Asia Trip - Day 5

Thursday, 10/9 -

Thursday morning, I headed back out to the airport to board the plane back to Taiwan. To my surprise, and without my knowledge, they upgraded me to first class. You can imagine my reaction when I automatically turned right to head towards the economy section and couldn't find my seat. So roomy and comfy. I sat in amazement throughout the 1 1/2 hour flight.

Back to TPE and on the bus to Taipei. This route was getting tiresome by now, but this time, we passed by rice paddies and people in stereotypical dress working the fields. It was a classic National Geographic people watch moment and odd against the industrial backdrop of a highway and tons of construction going on around them.

I decided to "splurge" as I took a taxi to the new hostel I would be staying at. Considering all the shopping I had done in Hong Kong, my shoulders weren't ready to handle the new weight of my luggage. I say splurge because normally, I would rely on public transportation to lug my belongings around. Considering the exchange rate, I knew I could manage the costs. 120NTD was about 3USD so that wasn't exactly breaking the bank. I settled into the hostel immediately where I was shown my own room and the facilities. This was by far, the BEST hostel I think I have ever stayed at. The people were fantastic and besides a temperamental washing machine, everything went smooth. Since I had so much trouble finding breakfast the past four days, I decided to purchase some oatmeal, milk, and fruit at the supermarket nearby to last me the length of my stay. The hostel was in a neighborhood called ShiDa, and it's the stomping grounds of Taiwan's university crowd. I was bound by academic obligations I couldn't get out of, so I spent Thursday afternoon finishing up some school work.

That night, I explored ShiDa night market. First off, I would like to explain that I did not like any of the food in both countries I visited, unless it was Western fare. This is not a reflection on the countries themselves, but purely on me. I consider General Tso's chicken ("I'll pay more for white meat, please") the most exotic meal I think I've eaten in my life. I'm not a foodie, nor am I food adventurous. I'm a stickler for specific consistencies and textures and if it goes slightly askew, I will spit everything out immediately. I'm the one that will tell your grandmother I don't want to try her famous *insert meal here* because it includes an item I refuse to eat.

Back to ShiDa. This was by far my favorite night market of the handful I had visited in Taiwan. Smaller, younger, hip, and filled with college students, I felt at place, even though I probably graduated the year they were all born. This market was different because you had a mix of people selling schlocky jewelry in suitcases opened on the side of the street, tables of cheap clothing laying out to rummage through, and funky boutiques offering more expensive designer clothing. I stumbled upon a boutique with a jewelry maker outside churning out really nice pieces for sale. I chose a nice pair of funky earrings and ended up going back several times to purchase more. It was humorous to know that I had literally bought something "Made in Taiwan".

The Taiwanese love to snack and night markets are the place where they can enjoy this pastime. There aren't really meals for sale here, but tons of booths offering little things to munch on. Given my aversion to the food, I chose things such as fruit, Bubble tea, and ice cream. Nothing substantial in the end, but filling my belly just the same. I noticed the sign at the ice cream shop assuring customers, in English, that they don't import milk from China; the melamine scare was in full force.

No comments: