Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I've Landed in Dublin

The flight was uneventful. In addition to picking a choice seat online, I managed only a carry-on for the trip over. Yeah! We even got in early. Forget about any halfway decent sleep on the plane, which wasn't such a surprise. It would have been nice to get at least three or more hours. But that wasn't possible. The meal was decent. I ordered the beef dish. I sat next to an older cougar-ish woman with bleach blonde hair who talked my ear off a bit prior to landing, but she was at least entertaining and gave me some good tips. Her outfit was a trip; very busy patterns with bare tanned legs and open toed shoes. Her headband even matched the dress. Tons of clunky jewelry. She was originally from Ireland, but had lived in the US for decades, so there was no trace of an Irish accent. Bless her heart.

The airport was so ghetto and confusing for such an international destination. The customs room was tiny and unorganized. Getting down to the arrivals room, I immediately purchased the three day saver for 25 euros. This pass would give me free transportation to and around the city plus it's environs, in addition to use of the hop on hop off bus for the entire duration of the ticket. It was sunny when I stepped outside, but quickly turned to dark skies and light rain once I got on the Airlink bus to get into the city.

My first impressions? Immediately outside of the airport you are met with lush farmland, which gives way to industry. Finally, entering Dublin, it reminded me of a less busy London.

The Airlink bus stopped on O'Connell Street right near the GPO. Finding the hostel was fairly easy, once I got my street bearings. The room wasn't ready, so I put my suitcase in the left luggage room. This kinda sucked, because it didn't give me a chance to settle in and freshen up before hitting the city. Since breakfast was over, I found a place around the corner and ordered an egg and chip dish with tea. The tea was gross and had a bit of a bleachy taste to it. Blech! I hope this isn't going to be an ongoing thing here in Ireland.

Heading out to Glasnevin Cemetery shortly. Every Wednesday is a free tour.

No comments: