Thursday, April 17, 2008

Frailty of Life

Leaving work yesterday, right outside the building, was a scene of pure carnage - a gruesome accident involving a bicycle rider and a DHL truck. Thankfully, I had stepped out as the ambulance was pulling away, sirens blaring, carrying this poor nameless soul off to the closest hospital. Walking over to the scene of the accident, complete with yellow police tape and gathered crowd, what I witnessed in the aftermath of it all, left me sick to my stomach.

Those who saw the whole thing, including a friend who happened to be outside immediately after the collision, surmised that the rider had perished. By the looks of the deep river of blood filling in the crevices of uneven pavement, sadly, I could only agree. This morning, as reported in two of the local papers, he did.

No comments: