Monday, March 24, 2008

Bostonia, Again...

I swear I'm hanging around family too much. The last few trips to Boston were with my mother which, trying as it may have been at times, managed to be enjoyable. This past Easter weekend was no different, only there were two additions, my cousins. Because they hadn't been before, Friday, we took them into Boston, hopped the Red line, and situated them both on the Freedom Trail. Meanwhile, my mother and I headed to a cemetery in Roxbury to find a grave for her genealogy project. After we accomplished all that was needed, we headed back into Boston proper and met up with the others to finish out the remainder of the trail.

Leaving the North End, I was left with a feeling inside. It felt different, not tiring or frustrating, just a kinda sorta empty and longing feeling. More longing, actually. Then it all came full circle; Boston hasn't been explored on my own in well over ten years. It was all clear now. Each and every time I have visited it has been either with other travelers or for exclusive visits to people.

It's not like I have never had a great time. That's just the opposite. In fact, my impression of this city is only of fun and happiness, not to mention the youthful transgressions that still make my friends and I laugh reminiscing about them. What happened was I haven't, in a long time, given myself a mini solo trip, a chance to spread my wings again and be as unfettered and independent in what I believe to be, the second greatest city in the country.

The next and last day of our quick city jaunt, the group split up. My mother and cousins went to Fenway Park and I, all by my little lonesome, went to explore the campus of the university I will start attending this summer. Although I am a distant student and won't be campus bound for my education, I still have all the privileges afforded to me as if I were studying brick and mortar style. While there, it felt so good to relax, walk around, and take everything in stride. Aside from the excitement of seeing the campus, it confirmed the need for some Boston alone time. It also gave me a chance to breath and plot my next trip to the city, alone. Without a travel companion.

Hopefully, the next trip will be to come back, get my student ID, maybe purchase textbooks if classes happen to be starting then. That will be the business side of things. The rest will be a nice meal, some meandering around, maybe a T ride to some random destination. If she's available, perhaps I could meet up with H for some fun and always enjoyable times together. Something, anything, to return that piece of Bostonian freedom back inside my soul again.

No comments: