Friday, November 23, 2007

Winding Down

My time here in Denmark is coming to a close. I thought I would be able to post at least a little something each night after my adventures, but the hotel had such spotty Internet connection. When it was up and running, other guests were using the computer. At least I tried.

Anyway, tomorrow I finish up and take care of last minute business before flying on out to Madrid.

I hope to visit Nyhavn to take some proper photos. I visited the Nyhavn Jule Market on Tuesday night, and kept walking past it during the daytime on my way to other places. A visit to Copenhagen just isn't complete without a photo of its most famous canal in the world.

Despite the over the top costs here, I was able to buy a few things. It was a relief to find a Christmas gift for my sister. A store called Hemtex had goose down slippers on sale. I bought a pair for her and went back later to snag a pair for myself. These slippers are so adorable, and so unbelievably warm. They were a real steal at 69 DKK (about 14 USD). At that price, I simply couldn't resist.

No trip to a foreign country is complete without a stop at the supermarket! I was able to peruse the aisles of a few stores and purchase a product unique to the country called Ymerdrys. The Danes use this as a topping for yogurt. I've also become addicted to diet orange Fanta. It's much like Polar Orange Dry or Orangina in taste. Lovely.

As for the hotel, it's been sufficient in everything I needed for this trip, especially the breakfast buffet. The buffet is to die for! In addition to cereal, yogurt and fruit, there was an array of meats, Danish cheeses, and wienerbrod on offer. I confess to nicking an extra pastry each morning for my late night snack. I'm sure the staff sees me wrap them up in my napkin and pretends not to notice. Plus, I'm not abusive in my theft of chokoladeboller, the particular kind I have grown addicted to. Besides, the hotel does put out their leftover pastries at night for the guests to take.

Another thing about the hotel is that it's located in the red light district of Copenhagen. However, it's not as sinister as one would expect. You hardly notice the ladies of the evening. Their attire is casually normal, just jeans and a warm coat to protect them from the cold. You would think that such a seedy area would be off putting, but it's not. There are simply too many tourist hotels in this area for it to really be a problem and it's a surprisingly safe neighborhood given the backdrop.

All together, I have zero complaints about my time here. Other than the cold, which I anticipated and (thankfully) prepared myself for. Yeah, I could have done without the early closings of touristy spots, but that was to be expected given the time of year.

No comments: