Monday, October 29, 2007

Euro-Itch Satiated!

I'm heading to Copenhagen, Denmark!

And just to confirm that I am not of a relaxing temperament when it comes to traveling abroad, I purposely chose an flight, which by default, has a 22 hour layover in…Madrid, Spain! In addition to these two countries, I am considering day tripping to Sweden. I've got lots to plan ahead of me and a lot on my vacation plate right now.

I am flying Iberia Airlines leaving Sunday evening, November 18, and returning on Sunday, November 25.

Why Copenhagen? Why not!? It's always been a city I've been interested in visiting. Plus, it fits in with my love of studying the 19th century royals. King Christian IX of Denmark is considered by many to be the "father-in-law of Europe". Currently, almost every head of a European royal house boasts direct lineage from he and his wife, Queen Louise. It probably doesn't come as a surprise then, that I'll be making the palace rounds. I hope to make a stop in the town of Ballerup to see a museum exhibit about Olga Alexandrovna too.

As for the excitement of Madrid? Well, I was never what you would call a "Spain person", so when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped at it. If only to get a little taste of the country.

The biggest plus is that I found a killer deal on both my flight and hotel. Orbitz had a $200 coupon off of the cost of international hotels, so my original cost plan went drastically down and I was able to add an extra day to my trip. For Madrid, I'm going the hostel route, and I managed to snag a 2 person room. Not bad. I can handle one brief night, and there will only be the possibility of one other stranger, the same gender, along side me.

I wish I was more proactive last year when I went abroad and posted frequently about my experiences. I could have focused on some of the little things that are burned in my mind, but not really worth striking up a conversation about. Not to mention, my thoughts about gushing have changed dramatically and have become more focused. That said, it's hard to know what kind of access to the Internet I will have to know if I can pull that kind of blogging off. Not to mention the time constraints. Still, looking back, had I found a more effective way to reflect back on what I had experienced, I would have some of the more intimate things to share. Anywho, it's too late for tears, right? Right.

I'm so full of excitement and I'm counting down the days in anticipation. I will give updates as I find things out, and post a loose itinerary when the time comes.

No comments: