Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Free Cornbread

For some odd inexplicable reason, the corner of 34th and Broadway is thee epicenter for free handouts. The freebies I have received on my way from the subway exit to my workplace, have ranged anywhere from protein bars, to energy saving light bulbs (for Earth Day), and condoms (for AIDS Awareness Day). Today was no different in the uniqueness that is free booty.

To promote the grand opening of another branch of Dallas BBQ (excellent Texas Size Pina Coladas, I might add), a delivery man was handing out free warm cornbread. Right there on the street. At first, I viewed him with suspicion. Then the thought occurred to me that he was just fed up with the job and enacting some kind of revenge by giving away his delivery orders. All before turning in his apron, of course. After observing others, I slowly approached and reached for one of the brown paper bags that he was handing out. Back in the office, I opened it to see that I had been given two huge pieces of cornbread. Each piece was about 3"x3"x2" in size -- and so delicious.

Just another day in the things that make NYC so oddly interesting.

No comments: