Friday, June 08, 2007

I Bageled an Onion

Let me explain.

Last night, I took a Knife Skills I workshop at the Institute of Culinary Education (ICE). I originally came across the school several months back when I was interested in taking a wine course. Over time, that idea changed and the want of some basic cooking classes took over. I was drawn to the knife skills class because, although I know how to cook (very well, thankyouverymuch), I'm not too comfortable with your standard run of the mill chopping and dicing. I handle a knife as if I'm auditioning for a role in a horror flick. I hack into things with reckless abandonment.

Our instructor, chef Norman Weinstein, was superb. Not only was he incredibly helpful, but funny as well. I really learned a lot and grew more comfortable with the knives we used. Having hands the size of a Barbie Doll, I always figured that smaller would be better for me. Not the case. We worked with an 8" chef's knife only once. That was because Mr. Weinstein wanted us to compare it to the 10" chef's knife he had us use for the remainder of the class. Turns out, he was so right about that.

The techniques I learned last night I think will always be with me, but I know I'll have to practice a lot. In addition to learning the bagel cut (a straight saw cut to the side), and both the high and low technique; the key word of the night was "follow-through". Like in golf. Plus, we were given a handout which detailed what we learned in class to refresh our memories. Also, I can proudly say that I have finally chopped an onion without tears streaming from my eyes. That, my friends, is quite an achievement!

Another thing I liked was Weinstein's honesty about what one needs to stock a basic kitchen. As a professional, he could easily have said we needed tons of knives. Nope. One only needs a few to handle the job.

So, because of my happiness in the course, I am definitely looking into taking another knife skills class. There are four on offer. I learned that you don't need to take them in any order as they are not skills orientated, but usage orientated.

No comments: