Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Actually, I Quite Prefer Limey Town

So the Brits and their American counterparts are coming out in support of renaming the block of Greenwich Avenue between 12th and 13th streets "Little Britain". This little enclave in the West Village celebrates all things British.

Stores and businesses in the West Village have banded together to get their neighborhood around Greenwich Ave. officially renamed "Little Britain" - putting it in the same category as other famous ethnic enclaves such as Chinatown, Little Italy and Spanish Harlem.

Now wait a minute. Hardly a "ghetto" in its more correct term, especially since there is already criticism and charges of conduct unbecoming on our own shores, and it doesn't involve taxation without representation (that's just so 1776).

While I think the idea is brilliant, I hope that the many people behind it realize that there can be no comparison to these other neighborhoods mentioned in the article. If that is the intent, it would be quite insulting to compare British expats to the other immigrants who have settled here. The West Village is not and will never be comparable to the trials an tribulations of the immigrant communities of say Jackson Heights or East Harlem. There are no British people fleeing war, poverty or starvation. British immigration to the Americas is strictly financial and/or artistic in nature.

Since I am a halvsie, I had already considered this area to be Little Britain, or "The Ghetto" as I lovingly call it. And I giggle a bit because it reminds me of the show of the same name. I do have reservations only because I want it to remain my own little secret.

So, anytime you need your fill of anglophilia, you can just head over to the West Village and stock up on fresh pies, Bird's custard and Ribena all at Myers of Keswick. Head over to Tea and Sympathy for Sunday roast or afternoon tea, and go next door to the chippie for some faboo greasy fish n' chips.

And Bob's your uncle!!

No comments: