Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Cat's Outta The Bag

Hooray! I made 50 posts.

I have slowly begun to tell friends and family I have a blog. Trust me; it was a very hard thing to admit to my creation. I’m a very private person and not likely to reveal much going on in my life. Telling people I have this creature was one of the most difficult things to do. It’s one of the first steps in opening up. I guess one of the reasons is that I’m afraid I’ll look like I’m bragging in certain posts, especially when it comes to my travels or the insane things that happen in this city, which its own residents consider banal.

To be perfectly honest, it was fun being anonymous for awhile. I felt kinda like the great Wizard of Oz; smoke, mirrors and all. Now the curtain has been pulled back, but by myself and not some yappy little dog. Back when I started this, I didn’t know how far I would take it. Today, I still don’t have that answer. I wanted to get a handle on my thoughts and ideas. Even that took me awhile to figure how to go about doing just that. I also realized a long time ago that my friends and family don’t really know what I do with my life. I figure it’s going to be a place to dish about myself, my experiences, and my observations. One thing’s for sure: I don’t do musings. I despise blogs that have the word “musing” in the title or in the description. Sorry if you like that word, but I can’t stomach it.

For security reasons, I probably won’t reveal a lot of my whereabouts. I haven’t decided how I will address the people in my life. I am leaning more towards initials. That seems to work. If you know me, you’ll have an idea of who I’m on about. However, I don’t want people to feel the need to seek out a Little Orphan Annie secret decoder pin in order to figure out the people, places and things in my life. I’m sure after time, one can make certain connections.

I will tell you this; I chose the name Gramercy Riff for two reasons. The Gramercy Riffs were a name of a gang in the movie The Warriors. I thought it was quirky tribute to such a fantabulous movie, which also had scenes shot in my stomping grounds. The name ended up having a double meaning because I am essentially the “riff”-raff of Gramercy. If I moved out, I could never afford to live in this neighborhood again.

I’m not making any promises that I’ll continue my blog. Right now, my head feels full of material, and I have many ideas and drafts in the writing bank. But, that might not always be the case.

No comments: