Sunday, January 07, 2007

Shelter Duty

Last night was the second time in almost ten years that I did shelter duty by myself. Usually, there are two volunteers on staff. I actually enjoyed it more alone. Less room for chaos, and I felt I had a better handle on what needed to be done; although it's hard to gauge on those two experiences alone. Not a bad night except for one guest who tossed and turned throughout the night. Of course, he happened to get the one bed that was covered in plastic, so it amplified a million times on the stage. Also, the bus arrived early and that always sucks.

A pleasant addition to shelter duty is that I get to walk home as the morning light comes up. It's a nice feeling. Lately, it's a drag walking down Lexington because in the past, walking home from shelter duty, the prostitutes were entertaining. These weren't your ordinary ho-bags, but something out of a bad 70's movie. Three girls: one black, two white, with a Huggy Bear type pimp - complete with a feather in his hat. One of the girls always wore a short white rabbit fur coat and there was no shortage of spandex between them.

It was so stereotypical it brought you to hysterics!

No comments: