Friday, June 09, 2006

Milli Vanilla

Just when I think I’m all cool and getting into wine with dreams of becoming a sommelier, I accidentally discover...get this...Riunite Lambrusco. I can still hear the commercials from the early 80’s, “Riunite on ice...Riunite so nice...Riunite!”

That don't make you a bad person. Or does it? It's not the worst thing you can like, but it sure comes close.

Here I was sampling Shiraz at a wine parties, schlepping over to Italian Wine Merchants for a bottle of Cueso Scurati that I had tasted at a dinner and liked, and plotted taking a wine class at the New School; dreaming of one day walking through the vineyards of Napa. It was ridiculous enough when I bought that mini Wine 101 book at Borders (baby steps Gramercy, little bitty baby steps), but the Riunite clearly takes the cake.

I blame it all on Trader Joe's Wine Shop. I discovered a bottle of fancy-ish Lambrusco there for $4.99 and decided to give it a go. The next thing you know, I'm at the Wine Warehouse buying a huge bargain jug of the stuff and muttering to myself that it should come in a huge box. Oh the horror! What have I become!

I'm sooo vanilla, and I wasn't even beige yet (sigh).

No comments: